Mary Barnett Certified Nurse Midwife
I have decades of experience working with women and extensive knowledge in most areas of women's healthcare. I have participated in the care of thousands of women in many different settings. I no longer deliver babies, but focus primarily on women's healthcare/gynecology. I am grateful for the privilege of being present for so many miracles. I continue to study about women and health, and share that information with my clients. As a Certified Nurse Midwife, my scope of care includes the Primary Health Care of Women. I have been trained in traditional gynecology and integrative women's healthcare for women of all ages. If you have an issue that is outside my scope of practice, I have trusted physicians, medical and alternative providers I can refer to.
My Grandmother was my role model in healthcare. She was trained in a time when nurses massaged their patients, and she massaged me! She taught me to forage in the forest: to dig for sassafras roots, pick wild blackberries, and fish the stream banks for crawfish. Grandmother was into alternative health before it had that name. I became a nurse to be like her, but I didn't like regular hospital nursing. Midwifery with it's respect for nature, women, and babies was perfect for me. I like having a connection with the people I serve and I encourage women to make their own decisions based on knowing their options.
I am a lifelong Texan, but moved many times as a military kid. I lived two years in Okinawa, Japan which profoundly shaped me as a teen. I am an Austinite of many years! My greatest joys come from my homelife with family and friends, walking the trail at Lady Bird Lake, and swimming at Barton Springs. I also enjoy sewing and taking care of my yard. My husband Pete and I together raised three wonderful children.
- Advanced Practice Registered Nurse, Nurse-Midwife with Prescriptive Authority: Texas Board of Nursing current through 10/31/2018
- American Midwifery Certification Board Recertification current through January 2020
- Studied with The Institute of Women's Health and Integrative Medicine, Portland, OR 2013, 2014, 2016
- Master of Nursing, Nurse Midwifery Specialty, Emory University, Atlanta, GA, 1980
- Certified Nurse-Midwife, American College of Nurse Midwives, 1979
- Bachelors of Science, Nursing, University of Texas Austin, 1975
- Current Infant and Adult CPR expires 10/2018
- American College of Nurse Midwives
- Consortium of Texas Certified Nurse Midwives (President 2004-2008)
- Coalition for Nurses in Advanced Practice (Secretary 2008-2012)
- Association of Texas Midwives Life Member